Monday, October 18, 2010

Day 13 – Your favorite musician and why?

My favorite musician, hands down would be Teena Marie. Some may have never heard of Teena or even seen a picture of her, but if you're a FUNK fan of the late 70's early 80's or even followed Motown Records between 79-82 you KNOW who Teena IS! She is Rick James' protegee and is notable as one of the few successful white performers of R&B. She sings R&B with strong, robust vocals and plays rhythm guitar, keyboards and congas. She also has written, produced, sung and arranged virtually all of her songs since her 1980. She's truly talented & not many can match her voice! So Cal native, born in Santa Monica and attended Venice High.



I always loved hearing Teena's music on the radio so when a family member invited me to a Holiday Concert back in 2000 I was too excited to finally see her perform!! I almost fell on the floor when I found out she was white! I had no idea!!



I've seen Teena perform several times, her voice is BEAUTIFUL and she sounds PERFECT live. A true artist.
I chose Teena because she's a true musician, she's not just a studio artist. She can sing great & sound the same live. She writes her own music so we know it's truly coming from the heart. Also, she knows how to play intrustments...that's true MUSIC!
Some of  my favorite songs by Lady T:
Out on a Limb
Oh La La La
Lovergirl
Casanova Brown
I'm Still In Love
Fire & Desire
Square Biz
If I were a Bell
A Rose by any Other Name

No comments: